Saturday, April 5, 2008

The day in a life of a single mom.

So my sister posted something that just really got me thinking. And in turn it really just made me mad. What it's like being forced to be a single mom. Everyone keeps asking me how I do it well I don't know I just do what I have to so I thought I would share what a normal day for me is like which is usually everyday but sunday. I get up around 5 to feed babies then I manage to fall back to sleep for about 20 minutes before the girls get up and start demanding my attention then I'm on to making breakfast for them and before I can even get the cereal poured or usually right as I get mine done a boy starts to scream. So its no breakfast for me. I then end up feeding one of the babies while I squeeze in a little e-mail checking time and sometimes talk with one of my sisters on yahoo. After I get done feeding the boys I have to clean up the girls dishes and the mass of bottles from the night before and while I'm doing those they are off dancing through the house tearing it to shreds once the dishes are done I have to clean the house. I get it looking half way barable again and I quickly make a few of my 16 bottles I use a day. Then low and behold it's time to feed the girls again. So I make them lunch and again as I sit down to eat the boys decide their hungry so I stop and feed them. Then it's on to the best time of the day. Nap time!!! I say to heck with the lunch dishes at this point and ignore all the toys around and run to the beds. Once I lay the boys down I rush to get the girls to sleep and just hope that their tired enough that I will get a nap too and 30% of the time I do. I usually am able to squeeze in a little 30-60 minute nap before Katelyn messes her diaper and is up again. So I take care of her and stick her in front of a movie and before the boys wake up I quickly get a shower and get ready for the day it's usually 3 in the afternoon at this point. Then it starts all over again. Feeding the boys usually takes an hour at a time. After I'm done with them I head downstairs to start to work on dinner. This is the worst part of the day for some reason the boys are extremely fussy and just want to be held but I have to just let them scream or I end up just getting so frustrated and load up everyone and head to mcdonalds. Now it's my time to eat I quickly wolf down my food because the babies are still screaming and that just gives me indigestion. I usually just put the dishes to soak and leave them till morning cause I can't stand to let my babies cry. Now it's bath and PJ time. I use to rotate and do the girls one night and the boys the next but then I found it was so much easier to just bath them all one night and then everyother night I get a little break and can read a story to the girls. Now it's usually 8:00 at this time and I put the girls to bed and start to feed the boys. I get them down by about 9-9:30. I then run downstairs and make some more bottles and once those are done I head to bed and sleep till about 1 when Bryson wakes up. I'm up for about 1/2 hour at a time. I go back to bed for about 1 hour and at about 3 Jason is up same thing 1/2 hour and back to bed. Then around 4:30 Bryson is up again and there starts my day all over again. So there you have it that's what I do. Ammon claims I sit on my butt all day and complains about me being so up and down and moody. Well when you run on almost no sleep and never have anytime to yourself I think I can justify being cranky. He gets mad at me for him having to work so hard to support us and he has no money he throws at me that I need to get a job alot of the time. Honestly when the heck will I be able to squeeze in a job let alone sleep. I definately worry that my kids feel neglected by me but luckily the girls have eachother to play with which is a real comfort. I look like a circus when I step out of my house. I have a baby carrier on each arm and a toddler in each hand. At the grocery store I have both babies in the cart and the girls hanging onto both sides I don't get much food in my cart. It is so hard at times but all I have to do is walk around my house at 10 at night and look at all my beautiful angels sleeping and know that i made them and their all fed and clean and healthy thanks to me. So ya that sounds like I'm bragging a little and after the hell I've gone through these past 6 months I want to brag. That I'm still alive and I was pregnant with twins alone and gave birth alone and have raised them alone all while taking care of 2 very demanding toddlers and dealing with an adulterer husband. Not to mention living in the house that he slept with another girl and having to live 1 block away from his girlfriend. And to top it all off am now potty training. So here I go yeah me!! Ok that's enough bragging and complaining. It's time for a nap!

5 comments:

Kim said...

There is nothing better than sleeping children. I think that is our reward after a hard day. You will be rewarded for all you. Love ya!

Sarah said...

I'm tired just reading about your day...you have major bragging rights Katie. What you are doing is nothing short of amazing. You make me want to be a better mom - after all, I only have 2 and you do it with 4! (like going to the Treehouse!) your girls are sweet I hope they can come play with Jessa and Caleb again.

Nances said...

Wow...I am exhausted. Your day is crazy and it is awesome what you are doing. Being a mom--especially a single mom is so hard (not to mention when you have 4 kids under the age of 3). But you are doing an amazing job!! Your kids are lucky to have you. You totally deserve to brag about what you do. Your situation is tough--let me know what I can do to make it any easier on you.

Matthew Profaizer said...

Wow i didn't even think it was that bad, If you ever want me to kick ammons ass you just tell me i'll do anything i can. I love u katie

thejudkins said...

Katie - you are my hero.